You read the headline correctly, Mr. Worldwide, Pitbull, will headline the Wawa Welcome America July 4th Concert for the first time. Pitbull has number one hits in over 15 countries, nine billion YouTube/VEVO views, 70 million single sales and six million album sales.
This is the first time, a Latino artist will headline the July 4th concert in Philadelphia. Pitbull will not only cater to a bilingual audience, but he most certainly will bring a younger demographic as well.
And to be honest, by adding Pitbull as a headliner, it makes things a lot easier for both NBC10 and Telemundo 62 (media partners). As of the 2010 census, there were 187,611 Latinos and Hispanics in Philadelphia, constituting over 12 percent of the city’s population, the vast majority of which are Puerto Ricans. This number (me assuming), has most likely since grown since the last census.
Take a look at the headliners from the event going back to 2008. The Roots were regulars for many years, but things have since changed. The question is, will they bring back Fiesta on the Parkway?
- 2017 Mary J. Blige, Boyz II Men, Mandy Gonzalez, Tony DeSare, Luis Figueroa
- 2016 Leon Bridges along with Leslie Odom Jr., Yazz The Greatest, The O’Jays, and a Gamble and Huff tribute.
- 2015 The Roots along with Jennifer Nettles, Miguel, MKTO and Zella Day.
- 2014 Pop stars Nicki Minaj, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande, Aloe Blacc, JenniferHudson, and The Voice finalist Vicci Martinez joined The Roots on stage.
- 2013 The Roots and special guests included John Mayer, Ne-Yo, Jill Scott, and host comedian Kevin Hart.
- 2012 The Roots and special guests Darryl Hall, Queen Latifah, Common, Lauryn Hill, and Joe Jonas.
- 2011 The Roots and special guests Earth Wind & Fire, Michael McDonald, Estelle, Sara Bareilles, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Aaron Neville and Gerald Veasley.
- 2010 The Roots and The Goo Goo Dolls
- 2009 Sheryl Crow and The Roots
- 2008 John Legend, an alumnus of Philadelphia-based University of Pennsylvania
“This year will really be a ‘Party on the Parkway’ with Pitbull’s music and positive energy,” said Welcome America, Inc. President & CEO Jeff Guaracino. “His inspirational story, positive message and worldwide appeal make him an ideal headliner for Wawa Welcome America’s July 4th Concert. His music brings all of us together.”
The Wawa Welcome America July 4th Concert and Fireworks will be held on Wednesday, July 4th. The event is free, open to the public and begins at 7:00 p.m. The event will be held on the iconic Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia for the 26th consecutive year. NBC10 will broadcast the Wawa Welcome America July 4th Concert and Fireworks live in its entirety in primetime from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.